Press cuttings and journal articles
Last updated: 18 September 2008.
Unfortunately, because online newspapers have a (maddening) habit of rearranging their web archives, links on this page frequently stop working. We try to fix broken links as soon as we find them. If you spot any, please let us know. Thanks.
- Stonehenge autumn 2008 update, by Kate Fielden, RESCUE news, September 2008.
News reports about scheme cancellation
- Stonehenge: so what now?, Salisbury Journal, 13 December 2007.
- Rising costs a non-runner by Simon Hoggart, Guardian, 11 December 2007.
- Government axes Stonehenge A303 road upgrade, Transport Briefing, 7 December 2007.
- Stonehenge road and tunnel plans scrapped, Independent, 7 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel plans scrapped, BBC News, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge improvements scuppered, Wiltshire Times, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel 'too expensive to build', The Times, 6 December 2007.
- Government scraps Stonehenge tunnel plan, Guardian, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel dumped, Salisbury Journal, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel cancelled, What Car?, 6 December 2007.
- ENGLISH HERITAGE DISAPPOINTED AS GOVT DITCHES STONEHENGE TUNNEL PLAN, 24hr Museum, 6 December 2007.
- Ministers shelve plans for controversial 1.3 mile tunnel to divert traffic from Stonehenge, Daily Mail, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel plan ditched, This is Wiltshire, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel plan axed, Basingstoke Gazette, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge road tunnel scrapped, Daily Telegraph, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge tunnel to be scrapped, BBC News, 20 November 2007.
Press releases about scheme cancellation
- "International jubilation" as £540-million road scheme scrapped, Save Stonehenge press release, 6 December 2007.
- Press statement, Stonehenge Alliance, 6 December 2007.
- GOVERNMENT DECISION TO SCRAP STONEHENGE ROAD WELCOMED, Friends of the Earth press release, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge decision averts disaster, Campaign for Better Transport press release, 6 December 2007.
- Government announcement on Stonehenge tunnel scheme, National Trust statement, 6 December 2007.
- STONEHENGE WORLD HERITAGE SITE, ICOMOS-UK statement, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge road scheme announcement, English Heritage statement, 6 December 2007.
- Government is putting Stonehenge at risk, Liberal Democrat press release, 6 December 2007.
- Government announcement on the Stonehenge Improvement Scheme, Council for British Archaeology press release, 6 December 2007.
- Stonehenge stalemate but wildlife reprieved, RSPB, 6 December 2007.
- No light at the end of the tunnel for Stonehenge, RAC Foundation, 6 December 2007.
- STONEHENGE—STILL A NATIONAL DISGRACE, Robert Key MP, 6 December 2007.
- UNESCO regrets U.K. government's decision to cancel A303 road improvement scheme for Stonehenge World Heritage property, press statement, 7 December 2007.
Earlier 2007 stories
- Minister promises to sort out Stones road problems, Salisbury Journal, 13 September 2007.
- Stonehenge world heritage status at risk as tunnel plan is shelved, Sunday Times, 22 July 2007.
- MP's fury over Stonehenge funding, BBC News, 3 June 2007.
- Stonehenge update, by Kate Fielden, RESCUE news 102, Summer 2007.
- Stonehenge update, by Kate Fielden, RESCUE news 101, Spring 2007.
- Stonehenge update, by Kate Fielden, RESCUE news 100, Autumn 2006.
- Radical solution proposed for Stonehenge, The Guardian, 7 October 2006.
- Fight for Stonehenge takes to the air , Observer, 23 July 2006.
- Council approves Stonehenge visitor centre plans, 24dash.com, 12 July 2006.
- Countess Road group speaks out, Salisbury Journal/This is Wiltshire, 24 July 2006.
- Stonehenge, by Adam Nicolson, Daily Telegraph, June 2006.
- A monumental waste, Telegraph, 18 June 2006.
- Better short-term improvements than permanent wrong solution for Stonehenge, National Trust press release, Wednesday 14 June 2006.
- Road plans put Stonehenge status at risk , The Guardian, Wednesday 14 June 2006.
- Stonehenge under imminent threat from misguided road improvements, 24dash.com, Wednesday 14 June 2006.
- Stonehenge update for Rescue News by Kate Fielden, May 2006.
- Burying the ancient impasse, Norman Hammond, The Times, 8 May 2006.
- Barn owl chicks at Stonehenge know nothing about this tunnel vision, Simon Barnes, The Times, 15 April 2006.
- Conservation groups unify to oppose Stonehenge traffic plan, 24 hour museum, 13 April 2006.
- Council agrees £510m tunnel is only scheme for Stonehenge, Salisbury Journal, 13 April 2006.
- The curse of Stonehenge will remain until it is handed back to the druids, The Guardian, 27 January 2006.
- Campaigners Blast Stonehenge Plans, Salisbury Journal, 26 January 2006.
- 12 Environmental groups unanimously reject government plans for new roads at Stonehenge Save Stonehenge news release, 24 January 2006.
- Campaigners angry at cheaper bypass plan for Stonehenge By Charles Clover, Telegraph, 24 January 2006.
- Back on the road of old ideas to show off Stonehenge at its best Western Daily Press, 24 January 2006.
- Henge is too important to dodge issue Western Daily Press, 24 January 2006.
- Statement: Stonehenge options review, National Trust, 24 January 2006.
- New Stonehenge traffic proposals meet with fierce criticism, 24hour Museum, 23 January 2006.
- Government revives rejected plans for Stonehenge By Matt Weaver, The Guardian, 23 January 2006.
- Two plans, two reviews and £470 million later... By Jonathan Richards, Times, 23 January 2006.
- Stonehenge re-think threatens recovery of rarest bird RSPB press release, 23 Jan 2006.
- Delays ahead as road costs soar By Angela Jameson and Helen Nugent, Times, 23 January 2006.
- Stonehenge road "a risk to birds", BBC News, 23 January 2006.
- New A303 widening plans will damage Stonehenge site, Friends of the Earth press release, 23 January 2006.
- Stonehenge improvement options, Highways Agency press release, 23 January 2006.
- Stonehenge: time for non-road solutions, Save Stonehenge news release, 23 January 2006.
- Stonehenge Alliance interim position statement, 23 January 2006.
- Key presses for action on A303: Salisbury Journal, November 10, 2005.
- Stonehenge: Where are we now? by Kate Fielden, RESCUE News, Autumn 2005.
- A303 Stonehenge tunnel: no decision until end of year: Contract Journal, 10 August 2005.
- Shock snub to visitor centre: Salisbury Journal, 3 August 2005.
- A303 Stonehenge row: dig for half the price or scrap it: Salisbury Journal, 27 July2005.
- Jubilation as council throws out plans for visitor centre: Salisbury Journal, 27 July 2005.
- No light at end of the tunnel for Stonehenge: Times, 21 July 2005.
- Sun sets on £470 million Stonehenge tunnel plan: Telegraph, 21 July 2005.
- Stonehenge tunnel is stalled: Guardian, 21 July 2005.
- Soaring costs threaten Stonehenge road tunnel: Telegraph, 20 July 2005.
- National Trust calls for 'creative solutions' for Stonehenge: NT press release, 20 July 2005.
- Press Statement: A303 Stonehenge Improvement Scheme: English Heritage, 20 July 2005.
- Stonehenge: Government to review its only 'exceptional environmental road scheme': CPRE Press Release, 20 July 2005.
- Stonehenge tunnel plan cash blow, BBC News, 20 July 2005.
- Campaigners welcome government rethink on Stonehenge tunnel Save Stonehenge! press release, 20 July 2005.
- Stonehenge alliance press release 20 July 2005.
- Government to review Stonehenge road tunnel, Friends of the Earth press release, 20 July 2005.
- Stonehenge road decision welcomed, PA Community Newswire, 20 July 2005.
- Extra costs jeopardize Stonehenge tunnel deal, Contract Journal, 29 June 2005.
- Rack and Ruin, Sunday Times, 26 June 2005: Reports on the funding crisis at English Heritage.
- Council demands A303 improvements, BBC News, 25 June 2005.
- Stonehenge project rises £40 million, Contract Journal, 23 June 2005.
- Is Stonehenge tunnel project turning into the next Bath Spa fiasco?, Western Daily Press, 25 June 2005.
- Stonehenge tunnel cost climbs to £223 million, PA/Scotsman, 23 June 2005.
- The stone diaries by Neil Ascherson, The Observer, 12 June 2005.
- The Stonehenge Saga, Robert Key Says (Monthly newspaper column by Salisbury's MP), February 2005.
- Trust makes plea over Stonehenge, BBC News, 27 January 2005.
- Stonehenge plan 'global outrage', Salisbury Journal, 11 November 2004.
- New survey shows citizens of the world slam proposed Stonehenge road scheme, Save Stonehenge Press Release, 22 October 2004.
- RESCUE news 94: a news item about the visitor centre plan, by Kate Fielden, scheduled for publication in Rescue News, October 2004.
- Stonehenge centre plans unveiledBBC News, 15 September 2004.
- Stonehenge Tunnel Faces Tough Road Ahead by Jason Hopps, Reuters, 16 August 2004.
- West country link puts Darling on collision course by Andrew Clark, The Guardian, 12 June 2004.
- A tunnel for Stonehenge by Nina Sovich, Travel & Leisure, May 2004.
- Ever-decreasing circles by Anne Campbell Dixon, The Telegraph, 20 March 2004.
- Heritage has a price, The Guardian, 21 February 2004.
- Deja vu as fog of argument engulfs Stonehenge tunnel inquiry by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 18 February 2004.
- Stonehenge plea for tunnel length to be doubled by Graham Tibbets, The Telegraph, 18 February 2004.
- Stonehenge road tunnel Straits Times, Singapore, 18 February 2004.
- Tempest brewing over Stonehenge tunnel plan by Alan Freeman, The Globe and Mail (Canada), 17 February 2004.
- Henge road inquiry hears evidence BBC News, 17 February 2004.
- Plan for road tunnel under Stonehenge Ananova, 17 February 2004.
- Stonehenge road tunnel inquiry to begin ITV News, 17 February 2004.
- Stonehenge tunnel row set for inquiry icBerkshire, 17 February 2004.
- Plan for road tunnel under Stonehenge The Scotsman, 17 February 2004.
- Fight begins over Stonehenge tunnel scheme by Cahal Milmo, The Independent, 17 February 2004.
- Inquiry due on Stonehenge roads, BBC News, 15 February 2004.
- Don't sell Stonehenge short, National Trust Press Release, 13 February 2004.
- Stonehenge road plan public inquiry: fair or foul?, Save Stonehenge Press Release, 10 February 2004.
- Study blow to A303 dual hope, Exeter Express & Echo, 6 February 2004.
- Last chance to save the Stonehenge landscape?: Friends of the Earth South West Press Release, 17 November 2003.
- Last chance to save the Stonehenge landscape?: Friends of the Earth South West Press Briefing, 17 November 2003.
- PROTESTERS RALLY AS DEADLINE FOR OBJECTION STONEHENGE LOOMS By David Prudames, 24-hour Museum, 27 August 2003.
- New Stonehenge road would bring "massive destruction" to World Heritage Site - Stonehenge Alliance press release, 10th June 2003.
- Heritage fears at £193m road scheme - The Times, 6 June 2003. Note: Unfortunately, you have to pay to access the full article or read it in the printed newspaper.
- National Trust calls for full delivery of Stonehenge vision - National Trust press release, 5th June 2003.
- Draft Stonehenge plans published - BBC News, 5th June 2003.
- Stonehenge road plans published - Ananova.com, 5th June 2003.
- A303 Stonehenge Improvement: Have your say on detailed plans - press release by the Highways Agency, 29 May 2003 (reissued 5th June 2003).
- New Stonehenge plan is Trojan horse - Save Stonehenge news release, 5th June 2003.
- Stonehenge Update by Kate Fielden, Rescue News 89, Spring 2003.
- Countess Road residents pack meeting to oppose Stonehenge proposals by David Vallis, Amesbury Journal, March 6, 2003.
- Rock fall out - Builder and Engineer Online, feature article ??? 2002.
- Stonehenge road tunnel scheme condemned by Charles Clover, The Telegraph, December 12, 2002.
- "Tunnel to protect Stonehenge but critics say it will not be enough" by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 11 December 2002.
- £183 million tunnel will protect Stonehenge from traffic Contract Journal, 11 December 2002.
- Short tunnel is bad news for Stonehenge - Save Stonehenge news release, 10 December 2002.
- Stonehenge tunnel approved, BBC News, 10 December 2002.
- Trust attacks Stonehenge tunnel BBC News, 4 October 2002.
- So, what should be done at Stonehenge? by Kate Fielden, Rescue News 88, Autumn 2002.
- Let Stonehenge rise or suffer the Curse of Og by Simon Jenkins, The Times, 2 August 2002.
- New dawn promised for Stonehenge by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 1 August 2002.
- £57m 'old look' for Stonehenge by Simon de Bruxelles, The Times, 1 August 2002.
- Stonehenge Update by Kate Fielden, Rescue News 87, Summer 2002.
- Stonehenge scheme in question, ARCHAEOLOGY magazine, Vol 55 No 2, March/April 2002.
- Stonehenge hopes for deep road tunnel, The Times, 6 April 2002.
- Current Plans for Stonehenge: a farcical situation by Kate Fielden, Rescue News 86, Spring 2002.
- A sustainable and green approach to Stonehenge visitation: the ‘brownfield’ option by Ian Baxter and Christopher Chippindale, February 2002.
- Five teams to brainstorm Stonehenge tunnel project, Ground Engineering, November 2001.
- New Bhudda, New Britain, New Stonehenge: Independent, 19 November 2001.
- Stonehenge gets a £155 million makeover: Sunday Times, 18 November 2001.
- Stonehenge: topical lesson: Guardian, 30 October 2001. KS3 lesson written to support a Guardian article. (Note: you need to register to get access to the material.)
- National Trust urged to drop support for Stonehenge roads: Financial Times, 19 October 2001.
- "Don't blight Stonehenge" - new Alliance warns: press release issued by the Stonehenge Alliance, 18 October 2001.
- Is this the way to save our greatest national treasure?: Western Daily Press, 13 October 2001.
- Stonehenge by Tom Feilden, BBC Radio 4, October 2001. A balanced look at the various arguments.
- Stonehenge tunnel row set to flare up again by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 27 September 2001. Coverage of Chris Gillham's motion to the National Trust AGM and the Trust's reponse.
- The One Million and the One Hundred Thousand by Christopher Chippindale and Brian Davison: a discussion paper published by Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society that raises concerns about the impact of more visitors on Stonehenge, April 2001.
- Research in the Stonehenge landscape: Time for a green attitude to long-term conservation: Christopher Chippindale's contribution to the Stonehenge Research Forum, 17 July 2001.
- Research in the environs of Stonehenge: Gill Swanton's contribution to the Stonehenge Research Forum, 17 July 2001.
- The Stonehenge we don't deserve by Ian Baxter, Christopher Chippindale, Kate Fielden, Wayland Kennet, Elizabeth Young, Antiquity 74 (2000): 334 42. Comments on the Stonehenge Master Plan and a response from Dr Geoffrey Wainwright.
- Prescott ignored green pledges over new roads by Charles Clover, The Telegraph, 30 May 2001. In the wake of the General Election, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE) criticizes "a long list of roads that damage the countryside", including the Stonehenge tunnel.
- Ancestral vistas, The Guardian, 10 February 2001. Archaeologist Julian Richards explains the allure of Stonehenge to Stephen Cook.
- Stonehenge: the saga continues by Elizabeth Young and Wayland Kennet, Journal of Architectural Conservation, No. 3, November 2000; pp 70-85.
- Double whammy for road by Sarah McQuillen, The Salisbury Journal, 13 July 2000.
- "Cars sink from view" by Nina Lovelace, New Civil Engineer, 22 June 2000, (Roads Review section p.xx).
- Rethink probable on plans for Stonehenge by Maev Kennedy, Guardian, 9 June 2000.
- Stonehenge: Returning to its original glory by Sanda Dimitrakopoulos, Discovery Channel Canada 2000.
- Traffic at Stonehenge: Letter to The Times by Kate Fielden, 24 Jan 2000.
- Search to improve Stonehenge 'mess': Letter to The Times by Jocelyn Stevens, English Heritage, and Charles Nunneley, National Trust, 14 Jan 2000.
- Stonehenge plan 'puts site at risk': Joint letter to The Times by six NGO directors, 8 Jan 2000.
- Stonehenge - The Master Plan: from the History Channel.
Status by David Walker, The Guardian, 28 October 1999: "The
Trust has become a rich and baggy monster, peopled by urbanites..."
- Controversy at Stonehenge by K. Kris Hirst, the About.com archaeology guide, 8 August 1999.
- Confusion reigns over visitor centre by Sarah McQuillen, The Salisbury Journal, 22 July 1999.
- Road plan 'threat' to Stonehenge by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 19 July 1999.
- Stonehenge tunnel row: by Charles Clover, The Daily Telegraph, 26 June 1999.
- The Stonehenge Master Plan: by Maev Kennedy, National Trust magazine, Summer 1999.
- Stonehenge tunnel plan under fire from Transport 2000: The Salisbury & Andover Avon Advertiser, 12 May 1999.
- Welcome aboard the Stonehenge experience tour by Charles Clover, The Daily Telegraph, 24 April 1999.
- 24 April 1999: Developers aim to bring Stonehenge bang up to date
- Trademark Stonehenge for new era by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 24 April 1999.
- Fences come down at Stonehenge, BBC News Online, 23 April 1999.
- Turning the Clock Back at Stonehenge: PA Newscentre, 23 April 1999.
- A new future for Stonehenge: by Sarah Lyall, New York Times, 9 March 1999.
- Blair insists on cheaper tunnel for Stonehenge by Charles Clover, The Telegraph 23 September 1998.
- Stonehenge becomes a walk-in, car-free zone, The Independent, 23 September 1998.
- Stonehenge tunnel runs into trouble, BBC News, 22 September 1998.
- Tunnel vision by Maev Kennedy, The Guardian, 19 August 1998.
- 01 August 1998: Traffic will be hidden by £125m Stonehenge tunnel
- 26 November 1997: Stonehenge to return to a natural setting
- 14 June 1997: Stonehenge fails in £22m lottery bid